Friday, November 8, 2013

Studying Abroad in France

Salman Haji '14 
International Studies, Classical Languages, Arabic major, Russian minor 
Middle Eastern Concentration 

Study Abroad: Menton, France - South East corner of the country in Spring 2014

What led you to France?
Originally I was considering somewhere in the Middle East so I can practice my Arabic. But because of the security warnings I couldn’t choose anywhere besides Jordan or Morocco. And I already studied abroad in those countries. I wanted to study Arabic, and I was choosing between Russia, France and Turkey. In France, I could combine Arabic and French. I wanted to practice those two languages so I chose this particular program. 

What were your initial observations and experiences in France, when you first arrived there?  
When I got there I was very surprised things were very different, more different than I was expecting them to be. Because coming from a Western country, you expect France and the US to be similar in some ways. The people, the atmosphere, the food… daily life in general. 

The first day -- the stereotype that we all have about French people as rude was expelled when I was taking my bags from the train in Paris. Everyone was very helpful. I really enjoyed my first few days in Paris, and Menton I was so surprised how beautiful that place is. It is a small town of 30.000 people, and my college there was only 170 people. Yet, I was never bored in that place. Every day there was something new to see in terms of the natural life surrounding you. Probably the most beautiful place in Europe, so I was very glad to be there. 

What was your biggest cultural shock? 
The part of France I was in was on the border with Italy. I expected it to be -- when you think of France, you think of Paris. Biggest mistake everyone makes before they visit a country. Before international students come here, they think of the Twin Cities [in comparison] to New York or Chicago, but it really is different. Likewise, every part of Europe has a distinct cultural background. For me it was interesting because Monton was more like an Italian city than it was Parisian. The Italian influence was everywhere - the language, the food …

Can you describe it to me, as someone who has never been to France or Italy, about those stereotypes you just mentioned? 

It begins with the weather. Paris is always supposed to be raining, gloomy and so on. Although we had that in Menton, we also had a lot of sun. People were always on the beach in March, and you don’t see that in many places. I guess that warmer climate influences the food. Everything we ate tomatoes, olive oil - the Mediterranean cooking in general. That made the food a lot richer. Italian mentality was also evident in the people. You know, the Italian mentality of spontaneity, living life to the fullest, Italian humor, warmth and hospitality was around. It was a great feeling. Another thing is the nature. In Paris, you don’t get to see a lot of green in comparison to Menton. Flora and fauna in Menton was unmatched with anywhere else in Europe. Very unique and beautiful. 

How was the social life? 
It was difficult, because it is a school of [only] 170, in which ⅓ is Arab, ⅓ is French and the rest is international students coming mostly from Germany, UK and USA. Because the exchange students typically take less than half of a regular student’s course load, it was hard for regular students to come hang out with us the exchange students. We ended up forming a community as the exchange students. I have a lot of friends from the UK and Germany. I tried to stay away from the Americans so I could get a truly authentic experience while abroad. In the end though, I wish I could practice my French more. I did learn a lot of French, but it could be much better. It was also great opportunity to travel because it was right next to Italy, close to Switzerland. I was able to learn German, some Italian, even some Turkish. 

What places did you get the chance to visit?
All around Northern Italy. Turkey for my Spring Break - Istanbul, Bursa, the islands close to Istanbul, as well. I also went to Germany for 4-5 days, visiting Hamburg, Berlin and so on. Of course Paris for a few days. Lastly, I visited Balkans - Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia which was another highlight of my time abroad. 

What were the major challenges you faced?
There were a lot of challenges. For someone who considers studying abroad, they have to really consider leaving their life in the US and start another life abroad. If they have never done this re-starting of life before, it could be hard. Even for me, as someone who has already changed countries, leaving Tanzania for the US, it was hard for me to start all over in Europe. Set up my bank account, set up my phone account, study in French -- but in the end, you come back and you think of all of the things you’ve learned abroad and all the things you didn’t think you could’ve done. I truly feel like an adult now. Prior to my study abroad, I felt like a college student. It is really that maturing experience… I couldn’t have replicated anywhere else. I think in studying abroad, you are put in a place and forced to live your own life. The way you deal with these experiences matures you along the way. Leaving a life back at Macalester, in the US --my relationships at Macalester had to be put on pause. By the time I got back some of them did not even continue, which was a really tough thing to deal with. But had I not seen all these beautiful places… I don’t regret studying abroad for any reason. I don’t think I would ever take it back.          

But we somewhat had to start from ...almost scratch at Macalester, as well. How was it different to start all over in Europe than it was at Macalester? 

It is a great question. Compared to Europe[an institutions], I think Macalester is an institution in a way that really spoils you. You do not live independently at Macalester. You always have free food thrown at you here. You always have all these great programs to go to. Always something is going on on the weekends. There are advisors that can help you set up everything. Like Career Development Center can help you create your resume. ISP program can help you set up a bank account. The college I was in France, it was a small college. There were three people working in the administration. They did not help with anything. There was no ISP, no student life. I was pretty much on my own. I had to learn how to cook because there was no CafeMac. I had to learn dealing with my budget because there was no financial aid office. Now I came back here, I see the difference much better. It is perfect. The grass is cut so nice -- Macalester is just perfect. They give you everything you need. You cannot complain about it. That’s what I really missed but at the same time it was great to be left alone independent I can learn how to find my ways around, learn who I am and how I can deal with these situations. 

Finally, can you reflect a little bit on the questions of identity in France? Concepts like immigration, race and identity are hot topics there nowadays…

I was a little surprised when I was in France. A lot of people were telling me - “oh better be careful, French people don’t really like Muslims or Arabs or anyone with brown skin”. To my surprise, I went to all these different European cities and I encountered more diversity than I had ever seen in the US. In the South of France, you wouldn’t expect any Muslims to be found. Although it was small, there was a community of Shias (from my faith) and going to mosque with them was amazing. Because there were people from Syria, Madagascar, Congo who have been living in France for generations now. And some just came to France. And to see the idea of laicite, the idea of putting aside your national origins and be French first. It was very surprising to see how it affected the way people behave… Even immigrants, they consider themselves French before North African or Syrian or Madagascan. It was very eye-opening to me. In contrary to what I was told, I did not experience any form of racism and any kind of prejudice. I think what I realized was it depends on how you put yourself out there. If you are going to a foreign country and impose your beliefs on the others, then you can expect that prejudice against you. But if you go to a country and open your arms to it, you embrace it and immerse yourself in that culture, then you will be accepted by the society. It is not a one-way relationship that the country needs to accept you. You also have to accept it yourself. If you have problems with it, then you don’t have to accept it but you can at least help the society understand where you are coming from.      

No comments:

Post a Comment