Friday, November 22, 2013

Tips for Future Expatriates


One great thing about studying abroad is that it connects you to that specific country and the life entailed in that host culture. I am positive I am not the only student who has ever wondered whether I should consider living in my study abroad country (The Netherlands), or whether there is a potential career for me there in the future, be it a short-term or long-term one.

That is the cool part of having studied abroad - you can easily say, why not?

Once you have broken out of that bubble of coziness of your hometown, once you have become an insider in another culture in a completely different geographical setting, all that is left is to look for opportunities that might take you back. Is that all?? In theory, yes. In practice, erhmm probably not.

How familiar are you with your target country's social and economic policies, for instance, when it comes to living there as an expatriate?

In an interesting article posted by The Washington Post, the author reveals a study recently conducted by he British bank HSBC that looked at the economic opportunities and quality of life for expats in 34 different countries.

According to the study, China and Thailand are the best countries to be an expatriate, followed by smaller, rich countries known for their globalized business classes; such as the Switzerland, the Cayman Islands (on the Western Caribbean sea), Bahrain and Singapore.

Countries like France, Spain, Italy, the UK, and Ireland are discovered to be too expensive for an expatriate.

For 24 of those countries, the study also looked at metrics gauging the suitability of raising children as expats. If you incorporate the data on child rearing abroad along with the economic and quality-of-life measurements, China ranks first overall, following by Germany and Singapore. 

The study concludes that Germany is the best of these countries to raise expat children, that Thailand provides the best work-life experience for expats, and that Switzerland has the most favorable economy for expatriates.

This map shows how the 34 countries compare on economic opportunities and quality-of-life for expats. It does not include the metrics on child rearing. Bluer countries are better for expats and redder countries are worse:

Are we to only judge the quality of life you might have in a specific country based on its provision of economic opportunities to their expatriates? Of course, not. The culture, the people, the geography, the climate, the food on the table, the entertainment venues... a lot of other components need to speak to your understanding of a "quality life". You can have all the economic welfare you want. In the end, you want to be surrounded by people you can connect with and you want to enjoy the music you hear when maybe sitting in a cafe, on the street corner. Yet, economic mobility in a country you are not a citizen of also matters quite a bit. 

From personal experience, I consider my stay in the Netherlands as one of the most joyful and fulfilling times of my life. There were a lot of different components to it. The coolest aspect of The Netherlands for me was how lively and laid back its people were, unlike what I had originally anticipated of them to be. I felt like I was home, even though I was way too far from my original "home". I liked how neat the streets were; how organized and environmentally-friendly street life was. You can travel anywhere you like simply by hopping on your bike. What a pleasure that is!

Yet, I struggled incredibly to survive in the country as a visiting student. I had no local health insurance, and my student enrollment status did not qualify me for discounts on public health care and public transportation. I had to pay full charge (50 Euros if you go to the International Hospital, otherwise it is at least 95 Euros) each time I got sick. None of my medicine was covered or subsidized. Public transportation eventually ended up eating up half of my pocket money. So I realized; there is no way I can come back unless I have a job that pays enough to cover my basic expenses in the country. 

So overall, I appreciate the data provided in this study. I think being able to live and work in a foreign country is such a unique experience, especially if you are committed to the ideals of global citizenship. I mean do you learn more by reading, or by traveling? Indeed both, but traveling a little more, I secretly believe. 

P.S To see the full article, click here .   

No comments:

Post a Comment